Friday, April 13, 2007

Jim Drops In To Chat.

US: Why did you decide to become a stylist?

JIM: Let me tell you a little story, picture it, I'm 13 years old and when I grow up I want to be a doctor. Go figure me a pediatrician, hmmm. But, I digress.


Moving forward, I am in school (7th grade) and loving the painting and creative side of me that is finally allowed to be expressed through the art classes that were offered. So one day I present a portrait (homework) and the teacher starts to tell me, in front of everyone, how I have no talent and won't ever make it as an artist. Needless to say, I was crushed. The irony in all of this came about when I entered a local art competition, offered to students at my school. I had to enter this contest just to prove a point, because I was never one of those people who took anyone's criticism to heart. I was beside myself when one of the other art teachers in my school chose my entry as one of the winners. What made this victory even sweeter was the fact that my winning piece of art was displayed in a shiny glass cabinet directly adjacent to the door of the art teacher who said my work was terrible. Hmm payback. How proud I felt at this moment. I knew from this point forward that I had to make use of all my creative talents.

Probably the most significant influence on my career choices and me came about one day when I went with my mom to my Aunt Shirley's house. Shortly after we arrived, my aunt came walking out of the bathroom. She had just finished washing her hair and all I could see was a mass of long, curly, gray hair hanging around her face. For some reason, I was amazed at how it looked as it came tumbling down from the damp towel. My cousin Alice started combing my aunt's hair and setting it in large rollers. I was somehow interested in what she was doing, the control of her fingers with a comb, a spray bottle of setting lotion, the large rollers, the clips, it was incredible how her fingers worked. So then, she popped my Aunt Shirley under a hair dryer and there she sat, baking for about and hour. After her hair was dry, she started pulling out the rollers and the hair stayed in these large smooth circular shapes. I was mesmerized. How could hair do this with a little bit of spray liquid? Then she started brushing these barrels of hair into soft, full waves, teasing the hair and pinning it up in such a way that my mouth was hanging open. When she was done, and the hair spray settled, my Aunt Shirley was a vision to behold. Her hair was like a piece of sculpture, beauty personified in a breathtaking up-do that blew me away.



Although my Aunt Shirley didn't have a lot of money, she looked like a young Hollywood starlet. It took so little to make someone feel so great. As I looked at my aunt I thought, "how I want to be able to take something so naturally undone and turn it into something so beautiful. Well, it was at this very moment that I knew I wanted to be a hairdresser. Once I got into High School, I enrolled in the vocational program offered by my school. I decided that this was the route to go, because once I finished with High School, I could go to work as a hairdresser. As a hairdresser, I could forever after recreate that same overwhelming excitement I felt that afternoon as I watched my cousin transform my aunt's hair into a beautiful piece of sculpture.


US: If you couldn't be a stylist, what would you be doing?
JIM: Baking some fabulous desserts or a masseur.

US: Who do you admire?
JIM: My Mom and Dad. The raised 7 kids. Need I say more?

US: Any hair care secrets you`d like to share?
JIM: Hmmm ,so many to mention but, how about the day you get married or have a chance to have a picture taken of yourself don’t wash your hair that morning since the oils in your hair will make your hair seem shinier than if your hair was freshly washed. But of course style your hair as if you had!

US: What is in your fridge right now?
JIM: Chocolate, fresh fruit, and every condiment you can imagine and of course coffee.

US: What do you feel is the worst hair trend in the last 10 years?
JIM: A ponytail on the (top)side of your head

US: Any pets?
A beautiful white Chihuahua, named Hunter after the actor Tab Hunter.... "lust in the dust, polyester” fame.

US: What is your favorite:

Movie:
Anything having to do with movies from 1900-1950's, Lillian Dorothy Gish, Brutality 1912,the Da Bara a fool there was 1915,Clara Bow Wings 1927,The Woman Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russel, Mildred Pierce Joan Crawford 1945 and of course last but not least Sunset Blvd. With Gloria Swanson1950.

CD: I don’t listed to much music but I do love a great Tammy Wynette tune or Patsy Cline.

Book : Harry Potter The Series

TV Show: I Love Lucy, THE Munsters, THE Saint,THE Avengers, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances. So Many To Mention.

Guilty Pleasure: Shopping for a new piece of jewelry, rings are my fav!

US: You are stranded (you pick a location) what three items do you hope you have in your bag? JIM: Hawaii, fabulous sunglasses, a huge sparkly ring, and a reservation at a 5 star hotel.

US: Any final words?
JIM: There could never be any final words to say thank you to all the people who helped me before during and after I got on the show... It was the most fun and the experience of a life time. I know that reality shows make so many look so bad but what ever they say or show of me. It was an honor and a huge privilege to be chosen... Thanks

One show and our own Brillke wants to adopt you.


Don't be afraid. The two of you would be a hoot together!!

Thanks Jim! Come back and chat with us anytime.



Click HERE to Return to main blog